How To Negotiate an Injury Claim with GEICO Insurance
Call (800) 863-5312 to Speak with a Las Cruces Injury Lawyer for Free
GEICO is the second largest auto insurer in the United States, so if you’re in a car accident, there is a good chance that the other driver is insured by GEICO. If this is the case, there are some important things to know.
First and foremost, it is important to remember that GEICO is a company seeking a profit. Insurance companies make a profit by paying out less in claims than they receive through premiums. This means they will try to pay you the minimum amount they feel is owed to you. In order to successfully negotiate a more reasonable settlement, it is important to learn about and be prepared for negotiations.
If you or a loved one is dealing with an insurance company after being injured in an accident, call Zinda Law Group today at (800) 863-5312 for a free consultation with a skilled personal injury lawyer in Las Cruces, New Mexico.
How to File a Claim
After the accident, you must contact GEICO directly to file a claim. It is important to do this as soon after the accident as possible. Once you have made contact with GEICO, you will then be assigned a claims adjuster.
A claims adjuster is an insurance agent who assesses the amount of compensation that should be paid after a person has made a claim on their insurance policy.
GEICO claims adjusters receive information regarding the accident in several ways, including:
- Police reports;
- Passenger or witness statements;
- Photos from the scene;
- Medical bills or records;
- Repair estimates; and
- Anything you tell them.
Remember – The claims adjuster is gathering this information, especially what you say, in an effort to decrease the amount owed to you. Keep in mind that GEICO is a business whose main goal is to make money.
How to Negotiate with a Claims Adjuster
Understanding and preparing for the negotiation process with a claims adjuster is a crucial step in receiving a successful settlement for your personal injury claim. GEICO claims adjusters are experienced negotiators, so preparing for the process beforehand will allow for a more reasonable outcome.
- Keep all documents: Make a paper trail for everything you spend because of the accident. Keep receipts from the auto body shop, keep records of your medical expenses, make a record of any negative changes in your quality of life, and make a record of any disruptions the accident has caused to your job.
- Decide the minimum amount you are willing to accept: Be reasonable with this number, as it will create a baseline for the entire negotiation process. It is important to keep this number to yourself. You don’t want the claims adjuster to know how low you are willing to go.
- Make the first offer: Be reasonable when making the first offer. By making the first offer instead of the claims adjuster, you set the tone of the negotiation. You create the standard for which GEICO must counter. But don’t make your first offer unreasonable. You don’t want the entire negotiation process to get started off on the wrong foot.
- Prepare a reasonable counteroffer: If GEICO has rejected your first offer and presented you with an unreasonable counteroffer, it is now your turn to counter. Don’t be afraid to aggressively demand what you feel you are owed, but be realistic in your counter.
- Contact a personal injury attorney: If you feel like you are being treated unfairly throughout the negotiation process or feel that you are not getting the results you expected, it may be time to consider contacting a personal injury attorney. Whether insurance companies will admit it or not, claims adjusters act differently when speaking to experienced attorneys. When speaking to attorneys, claims adjusters may become more flexible and may be more prone to giving concessions.
Remember – Claims adjusters are experienced negotiators. This is their job. Keep in mind that every negotiation tactic may not work, but contacting a personal injury attorney allows for a more level playing field during negotiations.
Get Help from Experienced Las Cruces Injury Attorneys
The best negotiation tactic you can use is to turn to a knowledgeable injury attorney for help. At Zinda Law Group, our Las Cruces auto injury attorneys have experience representing auto accident victims and their families. Our Las Cruces accident lawyers will provide you legal advice while working diligently to try to reach a fair and just resolution of your claim.
Call us today at (800) 863-5312 for a free consultation with one of our skilled injury lawyers in Las Cruces.
Meetings with attorneys are available by appointment only.